We’re writing this in a moment of uncertainty. As a guild focused on using our hands to do skilled work, we know that weaving and spinning allow us to slow down. Working on a project right now may feel powerful; it may also feel like a simple distraction. We can probably all agree that working with textiles and fiber can act as an lifeline in unsettled times.
A few updates: The WGM Board of Directors is meeting March 26 (virtually) for our regular monthly Board meeting, as well as scheduling weekly check-ins while things develop. Committees have moved their meetings to Zoom (a virtual platform) to ensure that the necessary work of the guild is maintained. We’ll continue to provide updates to you through The Draft, newsletters, and on social media.
While WGM is closed, we encourage you to remain connected with us and each other in the ways that work for you. Here are some ideas:
- Continue to read and engage with The Draft, WGM’s members’ only newsletter. Any updates from the Board will be published here, as well as member news.
- Stay connected on Facebook. Tag us @weaversguildmn to share images of your weaving and spinning projects, creative ideas, and more.
- Want to submit an article, a book review, or images of your current project for a future Draft? Email firstname.lastname@example.org We have the first of what we hope is many book reviews, below.
- Nominate a book for the WGM Community Read. We’ll post the list of the suggestions in May.
- Share what you’re working on through Instagram using #weavingMN #spinningMN
- Read updates on our blog: www.weaversguildmn.org/news Should our operating hours change or we have any news about the shop, we will post it there.
- We’ve heard from some who want to help WGM bridge the gap by making a donation. If you are financially able and interested in supporting WGM with a monetary gift, we are grateful for donations of any amount. You can mail a check, or donate online at www.weaversguildmn.org/donate
- As we kick off our 80th year in May, we’ll share ways we can celebrate, including a guild-wide service project, Wikipedia editing session, and more. We look forward to celebrating this amazing and generous community!
Thank you for all you’re doing to keep this community vibrant.