Member Interest Groups
WGM member groups are self-driven, and meet to discuss topics of specific interest or work on themed projects. Interest Groups are open to all current Weavers Guild of Minnesota members. Participating in these groups is a great way for all members to learn more about equipment and techniques and create a community based around shared interests. Many WGM groups belong to groups.io and use that forum to communicate.
If you are interested in joining a group, please contact the leader directly using the links below. Or, you may contact their page on groups.io using the links provided.
- This group is open to members interested in exploring any form of band weaving or braiding. No experience necessary.
- Meets the second Thursday of the month, 10:00am until noon at the Weavers Guild of Minnesota (WGM).
- Group Leader: Keith Pierce
- This group is interested in teaching each other how to weave with mechanical and computerized looms. Members typically design and warp WGM’s compu-dobby loom for a group project. Guild members of all experience levels are welcome to join, including beginners. Please contact the group before coming to your first meeting.
- Meets the second Wednesday of the month, 1:00pm at WGM.
- Group Leader: Judy Bratt
Draw Loom Interest Group
- This group is interested in exploring drawloom and other double harness weaving. Most study group members have or are considering getting a draw loom. Some are experienced drawloom weavers, others are just starting to get their feet wet in double harness weaving.
New and Occasional Weavers Interest Group (NOW)
- This group is open to any current member.
- The group meets the 2nd Sunday of the month at 1pm, from September to May at WGM. (NOW does not meet in June, July or August.)
- The gathering starts with a short introduction to a beginning weaving topic, such as a weave structure. The introduction is followed by discussion and show & tell of individual projects.
- Meeting notices and recaps are posted on the Facebook group, WGM New and Occasional Weavers.
- Any WGM member can gain access by searching the group name and sending a Facebook request to become a group member.
- Tips for beginning weavers can also be found on the Facebook group.
Portable Weaving Interest Group
- This group is open to any member interested in any form of small, portable, and off-loom weaving or braiding. Examples include: all types of band weaving including tablet weaving, inkle weaving, and others; rigid heddle weaving; kumihimo and other types of braiding; any other weaving or braiding craft needing only portable equipment.
- The group welcomes members at all levels of skill, including beginners.
- The group meets the fourth Thursday of each month, 10am – 12pm at WGM.
- Group Leader: Bonnie Buzza
Rag Rug Interest Group
- This group is open to any member interested in weaving rag rugs. New members, of all levels of weaving experience, are welcome to join.
- Meetings are currently held on the third Tuesday of the month, 6-8pm at WGM.
- Group Leader: Judy Larson
Rigid Heddle Interest Group
This group is designed for all members interested in weaving on a rigid heddle. We welcome beginners to advanced rigid heddle weavers, as we explore the boundless possibilities on this amazing portable loom.
Meetings are held the second Monday of the month at 6:30pm via Zoom.
- Please contact the group leader for more info: Connie LaTendresse
Scandinavian Weavers Interest Group
- This group is committed to the study and promotion of traditional Scandinavian weaving techniques and other cultures of interest, encouraging each other to preserve traditional folk art techniques and use the techniques to expand contemporary artistic expression. All Weavers Guild members are welcome to participate.
- Meetings are held on the third Sunday of the month, 2pm at WGM.
- Read more about us on our blog!
- Group Leader: Robbie LaFleur
- This group encourages members to bring show-and-tell, questions, and challenging fibers. Spinners of all levels are encouraged to attend.
- Meetings are held on the third Tuesday of the month, 11am to 3pm at WGM. Come and go as you please.
- Group Leader: Anne Burgeson
- This group meets monthly to spin, compare spinning accomplishments, solve spinning problems, and talk about fiber and spinning wheels. Spinners of all levels are encouraged to attend.
- Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month, 6:30pm in WGM’s spinning room.
- Please note: The August meeting is generally held off-site at Minnehaha Falls on the second Tuesday of August.
- Group Leader: Chillon Leach
Fine Threads Interest Group–currently on hiatus
- The Fine Threads Study Group is open to current members of all skill levels interested in exploring weaving with fine threads and/or improving their quality of weaving. Fine threads is defined as any fiber of 8/2 weight or less including singles, woven on no more than 8 harnesses (not complex weaving) in either warp or weft.
- Meetings include topics of various weave structures and techniques suitable for fine threads weaving, planning for group projects, show and tell, and will periodically have quest speakers.
- Are you interested in leading this group? Please contact the former group leader for more info: Karen Mallin