Become a member
- Tuition discount: WGM members receive the member-rate tuition for classes and workshops. For most, the discount is 20%, which is double that of most arts non-profits.
- Priority registration for classes and workshops: A week before classes open to the public, WGM members receive a special email. Using the links provided, members can preview and register for classes before they open for general registration. This ensures members are given first-access into classes that often sell out or have waiting lists.
- Equipment access: Weaving and spinning require a lot of tools. Members can use small tools on-site at no charge; this includes warping boards, warping reels, bobbin winders, manual drum carders, niddy noddys, umbrella swifts and ball winders. Please check the calendar to ensure the classrooms are free before visiting.
- Equipment rental: Members are able to rent spinning wheels, and rigid and inkle looms for use off-site, for just $8/day for $40 for two weeks. Members can also rent floor looms for use on-site when they are not needed for classes.
- Textile Center Library borrowing privileges: The Textile Center library is the largest circulating textile library in the nation with a professional librarian. It holds an extensive collection of fiber arts books, dvds and magazines, which includes the circulating items from WGM’s book and magazine holdings. All WGM members have borrowing privileges.
- Access to WGM’s on-site collection: In the classrooms, WGM holds collections of Vav, Handwoven, and SpinOff magazines (and more), as well as a non-circulating library of book resources and a swatch collection. WGM members can use these materials on-site, and may make copies as needed for reference.
- Receive the members’ only newsletter, The Draft: Every other Wednesday, WGM sends a members’ only newsletter with volunteering opportunities, upcoming events, and class postings. It also includes sale announcements for Fiber Source, exhibition calls for entry, Board and committee updates, and links to resources and events. The Draft is the best way to find out what is going on and it is only sent to members.
- Join an Interest or Study Group: Dive deep into a particular topic or technique by joining one of WGM’s member-led and self-directed groups. Groups can meet at WGM at no charge, use WGM equipment for group projects, and advertise their meetings through The Draft and WGM’s website. Groups have access to groups.io for communications.
- Network at a Member event: Member meetings are normally held September-May, generally on the second Thursday night of the month. Programs include talks by visiting workshop artists, presentations by local experts, a winter social in December, and the annual spring potluck/election. Member meetings are always free.
- Sell your creations at WGM’s annual artist sale, Fiber Fair. Fiber Fair was on hiatus in 2019, but is being revamped for 2020. Follow The Draft for updates.
WGM members can opt-in to share their information with other members, via this directory published a few times per year and emailed to those who’ve signed up.
Want to give a gift membership?
A WGM Membership is a gift that keeps giving all year long.
Gift memberships can be purchased via our Fiber Source supply store or by calling the office 612-436-0463. Please be prepared with the recipient’s address and email.