This Ribbon Could be Yours!
Each year, the Weavers Guild sponsors eleven (11!!) awards in the Creative Activities Department of the Minnesota State Fair. These prizes reward excellence in weaving and spinning.
For the following designations, you receive a $25 prize (included in fair check) plus a handwoven rosette:
- Best use of color in a woven or rya rug.
- Best “first” woven or rya rug.
- Best use of texture in woven wearable items.
- Best use of color in woven wearable items.
- Best use of texture in woven non-wearable items.
- Best use of color in woven non-wearable items.
- Best overall woven item.
- Best “first” woven item.
- Best fine-weight handspun yarn.
- Best medium-weight handspun yarn.
- Best bulky-weight handspun yarn.
New in 2021: In honor of the 80th anniversary of WGM in 2020, WGM created a special award with a larger prize. When the 2020 fair was cancelled, we carried over the award and will celebrate it at this year’s fair.
NEW! $80 award plus handwoven rosette:
- To the item that best represents the mission of the Weavers Guild of Minnesota, in honor of WGM’s 80th anniversary in 2020.
WGM sponsors these prizes to encourage participation in the State Fair and to bring heightened awareness to the creativity and quality of the items that are entered. As the largest annual event in Minnesota–with more than 2 million attendees every year–it is thrilling to see the arts of weaving and spinning represented. We encourage all guild members to consider entering their items. Learn more and register online: https://www.mnstatefair.org/competitions/creative-a