Position Title: Retail and Administrative Specialist
City: Minneapolis, MN
Type: 30-40 hours/week, hourly (benefits-eligible)
Reports to: Operations Manager
Posted: September 6, 2023
Deadline: Open until filled
At the Weavers Guild of Minnesota (WGM), we provide opportunities for people to explore, support, and advance the fiber arts of spinning and weaving. WGM programs classes throughout the year, both in-person at the Weavers Guild and digitally, reaching more than 800 people annually. The Weavers Guild is a member-supported organization, with more than 600 contributing members.
WGM is one of a select few weaving and spinning guilds in the country with full-time staff and a permanent location. At our space in Minneapolis, we have dedicated classrooms and a workspace with looms, spinning wheels, small tools, and equipment. The Guild is an active space, where members and students access equipment and supplies and gather to learn and share. To serve our community, we also operate a retail store, selling equipment, books, and yarns as well as gently-used equipment and other donated items.
WGM is a 501(c)3 non-profit and is governed by a member-elected Board of Directors.
The Retail and Administrative Specialist works with senior staff to carry out the day-to-day operations of the largest weaving and spinning guild in the US. The position requires daily interaction with members, students and visitors.
The Retail and Administrative Specialist performs the daily operations of WGM’s on-site specialty shop, supports the guild’s robust calendar of classes and events, and provides administrative support to senior leadership.
Ideal candidates are organized and accountable, and are energized by interacting with and supporting fiber enthusiasts. This position is rewarding on many levels – working hand-in-hand with our committed and experienced staff, interacting with members, students and volunteers to deliver the services and community they cherish, and being immersed in the fiber arts.
Retail & General Operations (50%)
- Act as primary on-site point-of-contact for Guild visitors, members, students
- Field general membership, programming and service inquiries in person, by phone & email
- Process shop, membership and class/event sales and donations in timely manner
- Maintain accurate membership & student/event database
- Support Guild’s onsite member, educational, and volunteer activities
Retail Shop Support
- Perform daily operations of the Guild’s retail store, including opening and closing, operating cash drawer/POS
- Manage inventory and overstock, create orders, correspond with vendors; maintain and record accurate sales records
- Maintain supplies, equipment and related technology for store operations
- Merchandise and set up displays; maintain store appearance, light cleaning
- Assist with sales events, marketing and annual inventory, shop web updates and online business listings
- Coordinate in-kind donation volunteers and communicate with donors of in-kind items
- With senior staff, execute donation acceptance and sales events
Student and Class Support (30%)
- Respond to in-person, phone, and email inquiries from students and potential students
- Prepare classroom spaces, welcome and orient students, and provide access to students and instructors for scheduled classes that fall outside of shop hours
- Assist students and instructors with technology needs and accommodations requests
- Prepare program support materials, including class promotion, reminders, and evaluations
- Track and process equipment kits and rentals
- Schedule private lessons, under the direction of the Senior Education Manager
- Support special programs, including visiting artist workshops and events
- Assist Senior Education Manager in preparing enrollment and evaluation reports and conducting program research
Administrative Support (20%)
- General office support, including managing incoming mail; monitoring office supply needs and placing orders; maintaining office and kitchen organization
- Administrative duties, including: membership invoicing, database management, handling classified ad postings and corresponding with sellers, online membership group administration, special event administrative tasks as needed
- Marketing, including social media posts
- Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to: attending weekly staff meetings; serving as a positive and supportive team member; attending special member, program, or fiber events (on and off-site); adhering to WGM’s policies and procedures.
- Passion for the Guild’s mission and demonstrated interest in fiber arts
- Specific experience in one or more of the following: retail operations, program or education administration, membership, volunteer coordination, non-profit sector
- Computer software experience with Google Suite, Quickbooks, WordPress, Zettle/Paypal, and Zoom (account administration) preferred; if no experience then a willingness to learn these software platforms
- Organized and accountable – delivers on commitments and is able to work independently under limited supervision
- Detail oriented – able to enter and track data accurately
- Excellent interpersonal skills, acting in a friendly, professional demeanor representing the welcoming and inclusive values of WGM
- Excels at interacting and collaborating with diverse groups and stakeholders
- Outstanding listener and communicator, Authentic
- Learning Mindset and Adaptable — ability to pivot and adapt to change
- Commitment to contributing to a work culture that is equitable, inclusive, and antiracist
- Daily tasks for this position require the ability to lift 40 pounds, move inventory boxes along with display cases and products, and stand for long periods.
- This position is largely forward facing with a strong customer service focus, interacting with members, shoppers, students, volunteers, donors and patrons.
- This position reports directly to the Guild’s Senior Operations Manager.
- This position also works closely with the Guild’s Senior Education Manager, as well as key volunteers.
WAGE & BENEFITS
Hourly wage is $19/hour. Position hours are generally Tuesday-Saturday, with some evening hours expected weekly for retail, class or other services. Retail and Administrative Specialist position is a minimum of 30 hours/week, flexing up to 40 hours to meet demand.
- Health insurance (100% employer paid), including dental and vision
- Retirement contribution (IRA program with 3% employer match)
- 8 paid holidays per year; accrued vacation and sick time
- Discounts on class registrations and shop purchases; guild membership
- More info at the Weavers Guild Accessibility & Facilities page
HOW TO APPLY
Please respond via email with an attached resume and 1-2 pg cover letter to HR@weaversguildmn.org with “Retail and Administrative Specialist” in the subject line. Priority given to candidates who reply by end-of-day September 25, 2023. Please, no calls or drop-ins.
Please note that WGM requires employees to be fully vaccinated and boosted against Covid-19 and will require documentation upon offer of employment. Ideal Start Date is October 2023.