February 8, 2022: This position has closed. Thank you for your interest.
Position Title: Engagement and Administrative Specialist
City: Minneapolis, MN
Type: Full Time, hourly
Reports to: Senior Operations Manager
Posted: January 7, 2022
Deadline: Open until filled
At the Weavers Guild of Minnesota (WGM), we believe weaving, spinning, and dyeing are fundamental to the human experience. We are the largest weaving and spinning guild in the US, serving more than 500 members. Programs include classes for learners of all skill levels and abilities, workshops with nationally-recognized instructors, and public talks and exhibitions. Member events include meetings and lectures, self-study groups, and exhibition opportunities.
Located in the Textile Center building in Prospect Park (Minneapolis, MN), WGM is one of a select few weaving and spinning guilds in the country with full-time staff and a permanent location. WGM has dedicated classrooms and a range of resources, including books and equipment. Part of serving our community includes operating a retail store selling specialty equipment, books, and yarns as well as used equipment, books and other donated items.
WGM is a 501(c)3 non-profit and is governed by a member-elected Board of Directors.
ENGAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST, Position Description
Weavers Guild of Minnesota seeks a team member with a passion for the arts to play a key role in carrying out the day-to-day operations of the largest weaving and spinning guild in the US. This position provides an opportunity to support our Mission to preserve and advance the arts of weaving, spinning and dyeing.
This position is rewarding on many levels – working hand-in-hand with our committed and experienced staff, interacting with members, students and volunteers to deliver the services and community they cherish, and being immersed in the fiber arts. If you’ve ever wanted to be a part of a creative and innovative community, this opportunity is for you.
Successful candidates for this position should have the following skillset to perform the duties set out below.
Be the primary point-of-contact for Guild visitors, members, students, including:
- Onsite lead contact person
- Support Guild’s onsite activities
- Field issues and questions in person, by phone and electronically
Retail operations, including:
- Manage daily operations of the Guild’s retail store, Fiber Source
- Interact with and support Guild customers
- Process shop sales
- Manage inventory and overstock
- Manage orders; correspond with vendors
- Maintain sales records, inventory, equipment and related technology for store operations
- Merchandise and set up displays; maintain store appearance
- Assist with sales events and marketing
- Open and close the Guild
Support education programming and outreach, including:
- Support students and faculty, including space, equipment, and technology set-up and support
- Field questions on programming
- Update program calendars
- Support volunteers for offsite programs
- Assist with generating reports, compiling data and other required preparation for grant submissions
Execute marketing strategies, including:
- Social media posts and class listings
- Updates to website
Execute administrative duties, including:
- Processing invoices
- Database management
- Manage classified ads and correspond with sellers
- Passion for the Guild’s Mission and work; interest in fiber arts
- A ‘people person’ who is energized by interacting with and supporting fiber enthusiasts
- Excels at interacting and collaborating with diverse groups and stakeholders
- Detail oriented
- Outstanding listener and communicator
- Organized and accountable – delivers on commitments and is able to work independently under limited supervision
- Learning Mindset and Adaptable – ability to pivot and adapt to change
- Available for Tuesday-Saturday work week and occasional night meetings, programs and events
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19
- Computer software experience with Google Suite, Quickbooks, WordPress, Zoom (account administration), and Asana preferred; if no experience then a willingness to learn these software platforms.
- This position is largely forward facing with a strong customer service focus interacting with members, shoppers, students, Guild volunteers, donors and patrons.
- This position reports directly to the Guild’s Senior Manager of Operations. This position also works closely with the Guild’s Senior Manager of Education and volunteers.
- $17/hour ($35,360/year)
- Overtime eligible (with pre-approval)
- Health benefits
- Retirement (IRA program with employer matching)
- Paid holidays, vacation and sick time
- 20% discount on shop purchases; Ability to enroll in classes to better serve the Guild and its community, with approval from supervisors upon hiring and as part of annual review process; free Guild membership
To apply, please send your resume to HR@weaversguildmn.org with “Engagement and Administrative Specialist” in the subject line. No calls or drop ins please.