Did you know that it is a State Fair tradition that guild volunteers demonstrate at the Minnesota State Fair? For more than 50 years, guild volunteers have shown fairgoers what it looks like to spin and weave. For some attendees, this sparks an interest in learning to weave or spin–which drives new members to our organization.
The Weavers Guild has a permanent demonstration space in the Creative Activities building, where we have a warped floor loom, a spinning wheel and room to practice other techniques. In past years, we’ve had three volunteers demonstrating at any given time, engaging with the public and showing off their skills. It is our largest volunteer event of the entire year, and performs essential outreach for the guild.
2021 UPDATE: We recognize that things have changed since 2019, the last year the Minnesota State Fair was held. Our most important concern is your safety. We’ve updated our demonstration guidelines to reflect this. Our goal for the 2021 State Fair is to provide some demonstrations for the public while putting your safety first.
New & Different in 2021:
- WGM is following all safety guidelines set by the MN State Fair and the Creative Activities Department.
- We require all guild volunteers to be fully vaccinated.
- WGM will provide hand sanitizer, cleaning wipes and gloves.
- Masks are encouraged for those who would like to wear one. Please bring your own.
- WGM will provide a warped floor loom, a wheel and drop spindles, and some small looms, along with other fiber samples.
- Each demonstration area is limited to 2 people, to ensure proper spacing. Exception: Sheep to Shawl on August 28 and September 4.
- Please do not invite people into the WGM space.
- Do not allow people to touch the equipment you are using.
- WGM will provide some small demonstration equipment that fairgoers can touch.
- In the event that there is no one signed up to demonstrate, WGM will provide a sign that notes when demonstrations will begin again. Volunteers can put out the signage as needed.
If you have volunteered in the past but do not feel comfortable doing so this year, we fully respect your decision to opt-out. (Unlike past years, there will be no pressure to fill all the demo slots!)
If you choose to demonstrate:
- View the sign up sheet and pick your slots. https://volunteersignup.org/WEDQH
- Please register by August 8 to receive your entry ticket and info by mail. If you sign up past that date, you will need to pick up your tickets at WGM.
- The info packet will be mailed to you the week of August 9. The packet includes a ticket for free entry into the fair, along with the demonstration schedule and a “need to know” guide.
Thank you for your support of all things weaving, dyeing and spinning!
Questions and comments, please contact Gayle Groebner WGM State Fair volunteer Coordinator