The WGM Artisan Sale Committee has made the difficult but unanimous decision that the Oct 16-17, 2020 Artisan Sale is a NO GO due primarily to COVID-19 related concerns. Our criteria for the decision was:
- MN State Fair Regulations for rented buildings – no formal response from MNSF yet, but we expect an additional cleaning fee at a minimum
- MDH & CDC guidelines and forecasts – are indicating COVID-19 infection rates nationally continue to increase
- Co-Chair in place for the sale – no one has stepped forward to volunteer for this role
- Must have members willing to work the sales floor during the sale – some of our Committee volunteers have indicated they won’t risk being physically present until a COVID-19 vaccine is available; given the ages of most of the sale participants, we expect the same will be true of many of them
- Disinfecting items which have been tried on (and even handled) will be extremely problematic for handwoven items; we also expect our member artisans will hesitate to bring their goods to sell
Our go-forward plan is two-fold:
- The sale has been rescheduled to April 30 – May 1, 2021. This date is already being held for us by the MNSF.
- The Committee unanimously agreed to look at the feasibility of hosting an online sale. We began these conversations mid-July, in anticipation of the likelihood of having to cancel an in-person event.
Please contact me or the Guild with any specific questions. Cathie Mayr, Co-Chair email@example.com